This qualification provides you with the basic skills to work effectively in a range of education settings, including schools and community education, who provide assistance and support to teachers and students under broad-based supervision.
School learning support officers, under the supervision and direction of a teacher, assist in classroom activities, school routines and the care and management of students with special needs.
Some sample units of competencies for this course may include:
- Identify student development opportunities
- Respond to behaviour and specific needs
- Apply curriculum
- Record and assess student progress
In 2021, Southern Cross College will be offering traineeships in Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care to Year 10 and 11 students within Sydney Catholic Schools.
Due to a unique partnership between Southern Cross College and Sydney Catholic Schools early learning centres, trainees will have an opportunity to fulfill their training by working onsite alongside Primary school teachers one day per week and also during two structured work placement blocks per year.
In addition, during the HSC year, trainees would be available to work two-days per week while completing their on-campus learning over three days at Southern Cross.
Full-time students enrolled in the Certificate III in Education Support will be expected to study at Southern Cross College one afternoon a week for 2 years. Students from other Catholic schools across Sydney can also attend as external part-time students (EVET).
CAREER PATHWAYS : The nationally accredited Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care will provide students with a career pathway as an early learning educator in the early childhood education sector.
- General School Learning Support Officer
- School Learning Support Officer (Preschool)
- School Learning Support Officer (Braille Transcriber)
- School Learning Support Officer (Sign Interpreter)
- School Learning Support Officer (Ethnic)
FURTHER YOUR SKILLS
- Certificate IV Education Support
- Bachelor of Education – Primary
- Bachelor of Education – Secondary